About Us Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Consulate General of India

Possible Steps to be taken in case of Indian nationals stranded in Indonesia

Question One.

What to do in case my passport gets lost while I am on travel in Indonesia?

First lodge a police complaint in the nearest police station. Visit Indian Consulate along with Police Report and Identity documents (Copy of lost passport/Aadhaar card/Driving License/Voter card etc.) and proof of entry in Indonesia. A travel documents will be issued to facilitate travel back to India. Police help line number of Bali Police is 110.

Question Two.

I am on a short-term visit to Indonesia and my belongings/bag has lost/stolen. What do I need to do?

Report the incident at the nearest Police Station and get a copy of Police Report. Please contact Consulate personally or on the following numbers:

+62-361-259500, 259502

+62-361-259504 (dedicated line for consular matters)



Question Three

A known Indian national has unfortunately passed away in Indonesia. What are the formalities required to be completed for taking his mortal remains to India?

Please inform the Consulate on the above mentioned numbers and visit the Consulate along with following documents:

a) Death certificate from hospital and local authorities clearly mentioning the cause of death and Police report, if death is not natural.

b) Original passport of the deceased and the informant.

c) A letter from spouse/children/parents, if not able to visit personally, authorizing the informant to act on their behalf and collect the death certificate, Self-attested copy of passport/any ID having signatures, proof of relationship to the deceased in respect of family member. The Informant has to sign on the Death Certificate.

d) If mortal remains have to be taken back to India, all arrangements/expenditures have to be done by family members/ relative/friends. Consulate can only guide in this matter.

e) If the deceased was employed, a letter from the company/organization giving details of circumstances of death. A copy of the Employment Contract, clearly mentioning the compensation payable to the next of kin, in the event of death while in employment.

Death certificate, a letter of request to local authorities to assist in cremation (If cremated in Indonesia) or a letter of request addressed to Airlines/Immigration to assist in sending mortal remains back to India, will be issued. The above service is provided gratis.

Question Four

I was detained at Indonesian Immigration on arrival and subjected to unnecessary questioning and threatened. Do I need to report such incidents?

If you feel that the Authorities have been harsh and harassed you unnecessarily, please feel free to report the matter to Consulate on the above mentioned e-mail giving full details of the incident along with details/copy of your passport number.

Question Five

An agent promised me visa for Europe/USA/UK/Australia etc. from Indonesia and has taken my passport. He is not returning my passport and blackmailing me or asking money to return passport?

It is advisable not to give passport/money/other documents to any agent for applying visa to above mentioned countries. The visa regulations to any specific country is the same, all over the world, regardless of place of application. Indian nationals applying for visa to the EU/USA/UK etc. from Indonesia will not be favoured if they apply from Indonesia. Claims from middlemen/agents of arrangements with a Mission can lead to more harm. There have been cases where agents gave fake visas and applicants faced court trials and imprisonments. If you have been duped, please inform Indonesian Immigration or police, giving full details of such agents and also report the matter to Consulate.

Question Six

I applied for e-visa and I have not received visa on my mail after making payments.

There are some spurious websites which charge more and do not issue visa. One of such fake websites is “indianvisaonline.org” We suggest NOT to use this website. Consulate does not issue e-visa. It is facilitated by a team in New Delhi. If you have any query on E-Visa, please contact +911124300666 or mail to: indiatvoa@gov.in

The correct Government of India website to apply for e-visa is http://www.indianvisaonline.gov.in/

Question Seven

Is it safe to apply for work permit/KITAS/extension of Indonesian visa/deposit taxes for companies through agents?

It is advisable to apply for such services personally as there have been cases where fake documents have been issued to applicants or agents have not returned their passports and the applicants faced legal action/deportation. Please remember that the Consulate may not be able to do very much in such cases

Question Eight

Do I need to change my OCI Card after every 5 years or whenever a new passport is issued?

OCI cardholder is required  to upload  ONLINE a copy of the new passport and a latest photo  each time a new passport is issued up to 20 years

OCI cardholder is required to get the OCI card re-issued only once when a new passport is issued after completing 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age.  The uploading of these documents may be done within three months of receipt of the new passport.  The service will be provided on Gratis  basis.

A detailed instruction in order to fill Online Application form and requirement may be accessed at https://ociservices.gov.in/welcome.

Question Nine

What are the limitations of consular assistance or what Consulate cannot do for me?

While the Ministry of External Affairs and our Consulate will make efforts to provide consular assistance in as many situations as possible, there may be tasks which are outside the consular role or which cannot be provided for policy reasons. These include:

  • Arrange visas, licenses, work or residency permits for other countries
  • Enforce a judicial or administrative order in or with respect to a foreign country without the consent and cooperation of the local authorities
  • Intervene in another country's court proceedings or legal matters including employment disputes, commercial disputes, criminal cases and family law matters or child custody disputes, except to the extent permitted by the laws of that country
  • Carry out searches for missing people in a foreign country, except with the cooperation of the authorities of that country
  • Investigate crimes or deaths overseas, which is the responsibility of the authorities of that country
  • Get you released from prison in a foreign country, except as per the legal procedures of that country
  • Get you better treatment in prison than local prisoners, although we may be able to raise welfare concerns or other sensitivities with local authorities for consideration
  • Post bail or pay your fines or legal expenses, except as permissible under the rules
  • Enforce an Indian or any other custody-related judgement/agreement overseas or compel a country to decide a custody case
  • Pay for medical services or medications, except in emergencies as per the relevant rules.
  • Pay your pension or social security benefits in a foreign country, except where permissible under Indian laws
  • Extradite/Deport/Repatriate/Return a person involuntarily and/or without legal basis or in the absence of a treaty or arrangement
  • Intervene in immigration, customs or quarantine matters in other countries, except to the extent permitted under local laws.

Question Ten

Bachelorhood/Single Status Certificate

How can I get Bachelorhood/Single-Status Certificate?
A Certificate of bachelorhood/single-status/eligibility to get married can be issued by a competent court/ SDM having jurisdiction of the area of the residential address of the applicant. This can be in the form of a certificate/ affidavit notarized by SDM which is required to be counter-attested by the Home Department of the State concerned. Thereafter, it is to be attested/apostilled by the Attestation Section of the Consular, Passport & Visa (CPV) Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.
Kindly note that the applications for attestations are to be submitted with the Outsourced agencies, for details please log on to https://mea.gov.in/apostille.htm